Kelly Burke has had a lifetime of painting and carpentry experience and has discovered the world of art while living abroad one year in Germany. She now enjoys painting on smaller surfaces like canvas and paper. She often stretches her own canvases allowing for a deeper sense of individual size and material. From the use of oil and acrylic paints to charcoals, pastels, and even oil bars, she has an ability to capture animals with great empathy. In addition to Animal Portraits, she also explores the world of Abstract Expressionism. She has an ability to convey unique combinations of colors, forms, depths, moods, movements, and, especially, textures through each piece of abstract art. All of her artwork is for sale as originals or in fine giclée reproductions. High-quality reproductions, with or without matting and framing, are also available.
A Portrait of your favorite pet or animal may also be commissioned. Please feel free to discuss the range of possible mediums most appropriate for the animal portrait you are considering and may wish to commission. Kelly also donates 10% of the sale price of all her animal paintings to support the Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter (BARCS): http://baltimoreanimalshelter.org/
- Honorable Mention: “Don’t Lives Matter? Flag” painting, Op Ed Exhibit, The Art League, Alexandria, VA 2016
- Viewers’ Choice Award: “All Lives Matter Flag” quilt, Home Arts, Quilts section, Maryland State Fair, 2016
- Third Place: “Black Lives Matter Flag” painting, “Art as Politics,” Touchstone Gallery, Washington, DC, 2016
- Faculty Choice Award: “Black Lives Matter Flag” quilt, non-judged section, Minnesota Quilt Show, 2016
- The Art League, Flickr Exhibition of Op Ed Exhibit
- The Art League, the Op Ed Exhibit Program with list of awards & honorable mentions
- WHUT TV interviewed artists at the “Art as Politics” show in Washington, D.C. as part of their Artico program, including a segment on Kelly’s Black Lives Matter Flag: first aired 9/21/2016 (@10:16-14:22, of 26:47 mins)
- Penn State News review by Regina Broscius of Reimagined American Flag series show (9/7/2016)
- Montgomery News review of Penn State-Abington University show in the student union (9/7/2016)
- Washington Post review of BLM flag in “Art as Politics” show in Washington, D.C. (8/12/2016)
- East City Artnotes review of BLM flag in “Arts as Politics” show in Washington, D.C. (8/11/2016)
- The Schuler School of Fine Art, January 2013-present
I have taken pet portrait and other drawing classes in this atelier since the beginning of 2013 under the instruction of the artists Beth Ann de Loiselle and Hans Paul Guerin.
- The Mitchell School of Fine Art, Summer 2013
I took a bird portrait course with artist Beth Ann de Loiselle.
- MICA, School for Professional and Continuing Studies, Fall 2013, Fall 2014
I have taken several courses on figurative drawing in this program.
- Klemens Wuttke, Atelier Eins, Nuremberg, Germany, January-August 2012
I took many drawing courses in this artist’s atelier over the course of a year on figure drawing, still lives, abstracts, and plein-air studies.
- Mira O’Brien, The Berlin Drawing Room, Berlin, Germany, July-September 2011
I took basic drawing courses in this artist’s atelier for three months.